- Manufactured the second adapter without incident. Part of the design could have been thought out better (having to use stand-offs to make the board-and-case screws fit securely), but overall it was a success.
Using different settings reduced but did not eliminate the "walking left while pocketing" problem.
- Nominal task for the last two weeks was getting the abstraction layers for the Big Widget's software sorted out, prototyped, and documented. In practice, I spent at most half of my time on that, because lots of mechanical drawings had to be produced for an order with a different vendor. That's now done, and I'm back to abstraction-layer tasks (the planning is non-trivial).
- Minecraft updated to version 1.12, which needs Java 8. The version of Mint on my home desktop does not have a Java 8 package. Rather than upgrading this machine, I've taken this as an excuse to get the new machine that's been on my to-buy-eventually list for the last half-year. The last piece of it should arrive tomorrow, at which point the install-and-configure dance can begin (there are several configuration steps I'd like to automate, so I may hold off on installing the new machine until I've done so).
- Finally got a storage unit, on account of having a steady paycheque now. Two of four sets of shelves have been set up in it, and I now have more floor space at home. I've moved most of the "low-hanging fruit" (things that were already sorted that are either archival or that are only used one a year); the next step is to throw out my academic magazine collection, sell, give away, or throw out my Dragon Magazine collection, and throw out or donate most of the "I might wear these some day" clothes. After that I'll be in position to triage the rest of the unsorted boxes.
- Ordered more end mills. This time I'm getting a corner-rounding bit and a couple of ball-end bits, which will let me make cases that don't have sharp edges (as well as let me machine sloped surfaces with less-obvious staircasing). These will either get used when I'm asked for the next adapter at work, or will get used when I finally dust off the "Arduino Atari cartridge" project.
- Plan for today is downtime. Plan for the work week is abstraction documentation and work-visa paperwork. Plan for the upcoming weekend is downtime and/or project time. The next makerspace maintenance run is the Thursday after next.
Now, relaxing and bed.